Update for May 22, 2020
Update for May 22, 2020
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY: As we head into Memorial Day weekend, may we find time to relax and spend time with our families. It is a time for us to honor all those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country as well as remember and honor family members no longer with us. This has been such a strange and difficult time for so many, and I pray there is a positive path forward. I do know that many have demonstrated that we truly are #KCStrong, and we will overcome this and come out stronger than before.
SCHOOL BUILDINGS TO CONTINUE PHASED REOPENING: Beginning Tuesday, May 26th, KCSD school buildings will enter the next phase of re-opening. This past week we opened our buildings to essential staff on a rotational basis. In this next phase, we will open our buildings to the public with some specific guidelines in place. First, all guests entering the buildings will be required to have a temperature check and sanitize their hands. We will have the appropriate materials (non-contact thermometer and hand sanitizer) available on a table at the entry point. We will also have disposable face masks available for those who wish to wear one and do not possess one of their own. Guests will remain in the front lobby/office unless escorted to another portion of the building.
SUMMER FEEDING PROGRAM: We will continue our feeding program this summer, although there will be a few changes made to the operations. More details will be provided next week.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE START OF A NEW SCHOOL YEAR:
- Understandably so, there have been many questions on what the start of a new school year is going to look and feel like. Just yesterday, Thursday, May 22nd, the AccelerateED SC Task Force submitted a draft proposal of recommendations for South Carolina schools. The recommendations are made based upon the best information presently available and only represent a snapshot in time. The task force’s recommendations stated they may need to be reconsidered, revised, or altered at a future date to conform to the latest guidance. Many of the recommendations for summer will also apply to the reopening of schools in the fall for the 2020–21 academic year.
- KCSD has a safety team in place that has been responsible for our individualized “Incident Action Plan” for how we operate. As we move into the summer and prepare for the fall, we will expand this safety team with participants representing school administrators, staff, parents, and students (where age-appropriate). Part of the work of this team will be to review our Standard Operating Procedures and current Incident Action Plan. We will address concerns created by the pandemic and what resources and professional development will be needed to be implemented as we prepare for summer operations and the future opening of operations for the new school year.
- As our state and KCSD moves into the 2020–21 school year, it is imperative that we use the summer to both address the challenges created by the lack of face-to-face instruction during our school closure and prepare the steps necessary to move forward. One of the task force subcommittees stated that “as a state, we must take the steps to LIFT our students in order to effectively address student-learning needs.” To meet that goal, the subcommittee recommendations for summer 2020 fall into four areas:
* Learning * Identification * Formulation * Transition *
This link will take you to the entire AccelerateED Task Force Summer Learning & Operations Recommendations: AccelerateED Task Force - Summer Learning and Operations Recommendations
CONCLUDING THE 2019-20 ACADEMIC YEAR: Today marks the end of the 2019-20 instructional year. We have a “Waive Week” scheduled for Tuesday through Friday of next week for any outstanding assignments. Report Cards will be completed by Friday, May 29th. As a reminder, Report Cards will be delivered via email and/or can be obtained in the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
- May 29th, 7:30 p.m. North Central High School Graduation
- May 30th, 8:30 a.m. Camden High School Graduation
- May 30th, 9:45 a.m. Lugoff-Elgin High School Graduation
"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.” #myKCSD #KCStrong
Dr. Shane Robbins, ATC