The mission of Bethune Elementary's library media center is to assist in providing a quality education for every child and to encourage a lifelong love of reading. Our library provides an environment in which students and staff learn to access, evaluate, and apply information. The library supports the curriculum of South Carolina and assists our patrons in becoming effective users of information.
- To provide materials and services which meet the informational and recreational needs of the learning community
- To provide opportunities for collaboration between the library media specialist and classroom teachers to promote information literacy
- To guide students in accessing information through learning activities which have been integrated with the general curriculum
- To guide students in retrieving, evaluating, and communicating information, of all formats, in a variety of content areas
- To incorporate a variety of equipment for accessing information of multiple formats from within and outside the library and school
- To guide students in exploring areas of personal interests through reading and accessing information, thereby becoming lifelong learners and responsible citizens
The library schedule is part of related arts, which is every Monday and Wednesday. Teachers can schedule time for their students to come to the library for research projects or virtual field trips. When the library does not have classes due to related arts, or the librarian is not aiding instruction in a classroom, it is open for check-out for students and teachers.