Skip To Main Content

School Nurses

The Kershaw County School District has a licensed nurse on call for each school. The purpose of school nursing is to enhance the educational process by the modification or removal of health related barriers to learning and by promotion of an optimal level of wellness. School nurses accomplish these activities in partnership with students, parents, and school staff.

All school nurses are licensed and obtain a minimum of 30 Continuing Education Units every two years in compliance with the State Board of Nursing Guidelines. In addition, all are American Heart Association certified in CPR and AED use.

If you have questions or concerns about your child’s health or school nursing services, please contact your school nurse. It is especially important to report any illness or condition that your child has that may require medical support during the school day.

Health Room Policy and Procedures

Medication Policy

The Kershaw County School District requires a Permission for Medication form to be completed for all medication – prescription or non-prescription. The form is available online and at each school. All medication must be delivered to the School Nurse or other designated school employee by the student's parent, legal guardian or a previously designated adult. It is against School District Policy for a student to carry ANY medication on their person without physician permission, parent permission and school district permission to self-administer and self-monitor.

Students with appropriate self-carry/self-monitor forms will be allowed to carry their medication per policy. All other medication will be maintained in the health room. Medication will be sent on all field studies. Teachers and staff members will be trained to assist with routine medications as needed. Teachers and staff will be trained to administer emergency medications in accordance with the student’s medical order.

For your child's safety please remember:

  • ALL MEDICATION - must have written authorization being administered at school. Prescription medications must have parental and physician authorization.  Over the counter medication must have parental authorization. The permission for medication form is available online and at each school.
  • All MEDICATION must be administered as prescribed by the physician or per the manufacturer's instructions.
  • ALL MEDICATION must be brought to school by a legal guardian or designated person over 18 years of age and given directly to the school nurse or designated school personnel.
  • Non- prescription medication must be in the original container with the directions and may only be administered with a completed permission for medication form signed by a parent.
  • Prescription medication must be in the original container and be labeled by the pharmacist and may only be administered with a completed permission for medication form signed by a physician.
  • Parents are responsible for knowing the expiration date of any medication brought to school and replacing medication before the expiration date. Expired medication will not be administered.
  • School nurses are legally required to administer only medications with FDA approval.
  • If your child forgets to take a morning dose of medication, school nurses are not allowed to give that dose at school. Parents may come to the Health Room to give the missed dose. Medications can only be given at the time prescribed by the doctor for school use.
  • Students with medication prescribed by a health care provider contained in the original packaging and appropriately labeled may carry these medications, may self-monitor and may self-administer these medications only if we have permission from the prescribing doctor and the parent/legal guardian. If there is sufficient evidence that unsupervised self-monitoring or self-medicating would seriously jeopardize the safety of the student or others, (stimulants, pain relief medication, anti-depressants for example) the school district may refuse to allow the student to carry his/her medication. Self-carry/ self-monitor forms are available online and at each school.

Contacting Parents

Students who come to the health room, are seen and returned to class as soon as possible. Students are encouraged to remain in school unless that are sick or injured. Students are excluded per the DHEC Exclusion List. Parents will be notified when needed. It is extremely important that contact information is kept up-to date If your contact information changes, please contact the school immediately. Emergency contacts will be called if parents cannot be reached. This is why it is so very important that we have current information about how to contact you at all times. If your child has an emergency situation or needs immediate care that cannot be provided at school, those contacts you list on the Health Card will be called IF we cannot reach a parent first. Please understand that this is for your child’s protection.

Student Health Information

Health information forms are completed online at the time of registration. Please complete the health information form completely and notify the school nurse about any serious health concerns. Students who have food allergies and require special diets, must have a completed Medical Statement for Students Requiring Special Meals Due to Disability or Food Allergy form signed by their physician. The form is available online and at each school. Menus are available online. A complete list of food items served in the Kershaw County School District, is available online and is updated regularly. All health information is confidential and will be shared only with those who have a need to know.

State Immunization Requirements

A child cannot be admitted to any school or child development program without a valid SC Certificate of Immunization or a medical, religious, or special exemption certificate. Please contact your physician or your school nurse for more information.

Kershaw County School District may participate in blood pressure, vision, hearing and dental screenings throughout the school year. If you do not want your child
to participate, please contact your school nurse.

Safe Access to Vital Epinephrine (SAVE) Act

The Safe Access to Vital Epinephrine (SAVE) Act, recently approved by the South Carolina Legislature, allows school districts to maintain a supply of epinephrine auto-injectors for identified school staff to use in emergencies for students and adults with allergic reactions.

Parents and guardians of students with known allergies should continue to provide Epi-pens and allergy action plans for their children.

Every Kershaw County school has a school nurse assigned and first responders who are trained in CPR/AED and Epi-pen administration in the event of an emergency.

If your child needs any medication (prescription or over-the-counter) to be given, a signed Permission for Medication Form must be received and on file at the school. If your child will need a special diet, a diet prescription form must be received and on file at school. These forms require the prescribing doctor’s signature as well as the parent’s signature. These forms are available from the school nurse or on the district website. A signed doctor’s order is required for any special equipment, medical procedure, or special consideration (i.e. restroom privileges).

If your child is to participate in any school-sponsored extracurricular activity (SEAGUL, sports, clubs, etc.), it is your responsibility as the parent/guardian to notify the school nurse of any health conditions and emergency medications needed. It is also your responsibility as the parent/guardian to provide the medications along with the district required forms to the school site where your child is to participate in the activity. If you have any questions, please contact your school nurse. The district-required forms for medications are also located on the district website.

The State Department of Education, under section 59-63-80(D), requires schools to offer individualized healthcare plans (IHP) to students with special healthcare needs. An IHP is a medical plan that is written by a registered nurse and developed from information provided by the parent/guardian and healthcare provider. The plan includes a nursing assessment, nursing diagnosis, goals, interventions, and expected outcomes. A parent must give permission for the IHP to be initiated. In order for a student to be considered for self-monitoring/self-medicating (carrying medication), an IHP must be initiated and agreed upon by physician, parent, and nurse. All medications must be brought to school by a parent/legal guardian in the original container. No medication will be accepted without required district forms. Students may not carry their medication without appropriate paperwork on file. Contact your school nurse for more information.

In case of accident or serious illness, I request to be contacted. If I am unable to be reached, I authorize the school to call the physician/dentist indicated above and follow his/her instructions. If it is impossible to contact the physician/dentist, the school may make whatever arrangements deemed necessary. The information provided above will be shared with district employees on a “need to know” basis and will be used to maintain the safety and well being of the student while at school/school related activity. I hereby further waive any right to take legal action for any injury received by the child while under the custody of the person or persons providing care.

Frequently Asked Questions