The guiding principles developed by the Executive Cabinet for the KCSD Re-Opening Plan include:
- KCSD is committed to participating in and upholding the principles of public health in our operations and as a part of the greater Kershaw County community.
- Planning for a safe return to normal school operations will include a focus on curriculum & instruction, extra/co-curricular activities, food service, health & safety, special education, transportation, and related arts.
- Decisions as they relate to return-to-normal school operations will be made with the health and safety of our students, employees and community considered; we will utilize guidance from the Centers for Disease Control, SC DHEC, and recommendations from the AccelerateED task force.
- KCSD may direct remote or on-site work performance by employees in the most effective and efficient manner possible if and when required;
- Changes in key metrics such as hospitalization rates, level of community spread or the emergence of a localized “hot spot,” as well as other emerging information about the COVID-19 virus and related guidance, will be the metrics for movement into more restrictive plan phases or less restrictive plan phases depending on the trend direction of these monitored data points.
“These guiding principles are very important to this decision-making process and will support our timeline for a return to normal school operations. Our planning and execution will be supported by all of the different criteria within the guiding principles to provide the desired environment we will need to be effective in this new normal in which we will be operating in for some time.”